This just in: Our partner and favorite gourmet fish shop offers wild caught and sustainable seafood: Through May 15, free shipping and 10% off for orders over $150; 15% off for orders over $250 (Coupon code: SPRINGFISH). Click here.
Aunt Minnie is one of the rare cooks who has passed her art down to the next generations of would-be cooks. She is known for this fragrant fall treat, a delectable apple cake. Her recipe can be found in New Recipes from Moosewood. I have adapted it just a bit and do can you. Get creative and have fun.
This recipe calls for half whole wheat flour in a genre of cooking that typically uses only white flour. 100% whole grain is the ideal, but in this case, the cake is too dry.
Apple Cake Ingredients
- 1 1/2 cups coconut oil
- 2 cups brown sugar (e.g. sucanat)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cup white flour
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour (or spelt)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- grated rind of one lemon
- 3 tablespoon milk
- 3 cups chopped apples
- 1 cup chopped nuts, preferably walnuts
- a tad of butter
- 3 tablespoon sesame seeds
Apple Cake Steps
- Butter a tube pan or a 9×13 pan.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds on the sides and bottom of the pan.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream the oil and sugar together and add the lemon rind.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well.
- Sift together all the dry ingredients.
- Add the apples and nuts to the dry ingredients. Toss around to coat both the fruit and the nuts.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients alternately with the milk and vanilla. Mix well.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 30 to 45 minutes depending on the pan you have chosen. Check with the point of a sharp knife or a tooth pick. They should be free of batter if the cake is done.
- Remove cake from oven and slide a butter knife around the edges to loosen the cake.
- Allow to cool for 30 minutes and remove to a cake plate. If desired, sprinkle with confectioners sugar.
Slices of this cake freeze well to be toted in lunch bags. It makes an excellent muffin as well.