My children have gotten used to a “night snack” and “night time tea.” They are both bean poles and it seems to me that a bit of caloric intake before bed is a great idea. I encourage their requests. Of the options that rotate through the household, this is one that I put together when I am in the kitchen anyway. It simmers for a while so it is never an emergency solution, but it is simple and satisfying if I think to put it on in the first place. The addition of cream is particularly choice for growing bean poles.
One day, those bean poles get big enough to make it themselves. That day has arrived. They describe their method in the video below.
We also use lemon balm for a bit of lemon flavor, mainly because lemon balm is prolific here and grows right outside our kitchen. A squeeze of lemon is a great substitute. In the video, the boys use lemon peel and lemon for the lemon flavor.
Apple Crisp Tea Ingredients
- 4 cups of water
- 12 dried apple slices
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2-inch strip of lemon peel
- 4, 3-inch sprigs of lemon balm (or a squeeze of lemon juice)
- Honey, to taste
- Cream (optional)
Apple Crisp Tea Steps
- Simmer the apple, cinnamon, and lemon peel in the water for 30 minutes.
- Add the lemon balm and let it brew for 10 minutes.
- Strain out the liquid and add honey to taste.