This post was last updated on July 6th, 2013 at 05:22 pm
Roasted beets are used as the base of this striking and delicious soup. If you already have the roasted beets in the refrigerator and chicken bone broth in the crock pot, then this soup is almost instant. It makes a fascinating first course for a spicy meal like Jamaican jerk grilled chicken and brown rice pilaf.
This is not a soup to serve young children learning to feed themselves as there is enough color in each bowl to color your dining area. Be careful. On the other hand, this is definitely a soup for adults with developed palates. The flavors are delicate, but complex and satisfying. It is slightly sweet and fruity with intense color.
Beet Root Soup Ingredients
(serves 4 as a meal starter)
- 3 large roasted beets cut into cubes (find the recipe here)
- 2 cups hot broth — we use chicken broth but vegetable broth will do
- 4 tablespoon butter
- 1 large shallot, finely minced
- 1 heaping teaspoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon finely minced fresh fennel weed
- 3/4 cups heavy cream
- 2 heaping tablespoons of flour or a thickener of your choice
- Garnish with heavy cream, minced chives, and fennel weed
Beet Root Soup Steps
- Melt the butter in a heavy sauce pan or soup pan.
- Add the shallot and saute for about 2 minutes.
- Add the beet cubes and crush with a potato masher while stirring in the butter and shallot.
- When the beets are sizzling hot, run them through the food processor to puree. Be careful not to burn yourself.
- Return the beets to the soup pot and add the chicken broth.
- While the soup heats, mix up the cream with the thickener and slowly add it to the soup mixture.
- Add the orange zest and the minced fennel weed.
- Stir until the soup is thickened.
- Ladle the soup into serving bowls and garnish with a few drops of heavy cream and a sprinkling of minced chives and fennel weed that have been mixed together.
This post was shared at Real Food Wednesday