This post was last updated on March 28th, 2015 at 09:18 am
Put away any notion you might have of what a cabbage salad should be if you have only experienced mayonnaise-based coleslaw they offer in many restaurants. A traditional coleslaw is great and has its place, but there are many other ways to make non-traditional cabbage salad.
The flavor of this cabbage salad is light, bright, and fresh with a delicate combination of flavors. It includes a fresh hot pepper, but the heat of the pepper should not dominate the salad. Use lemon juice instead of vinegar to dress the salad to contribute to its delicacy, along with a light olive oil rather than extra virgin.
The secret to a great cabbage salad is to slice the cabbage paper thin. The thin slices of cabbage makes the cabbage crunchy and easy to enjoy. A bolder chop means a tough bite of cabbage.
This cabbage salad keeps for up to three days, losing a little crunch with each passing day. It does maintain its flavor well. Use leftover slaw to pile into fish tacos.
Cabbage Salad Ingredients
- 1/2 of a large head of cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 small bundle green onions, finely sliced
- 1 bundle radishes, washed and diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, deveined and seeded, finely minced
- 1/2 bundle cilantro, finely minced
- 1/3 cup light olive oil
- 1 small lemon, juiced
- salt and pepper
Cabbage Salad Steps
- Toss all the prepared vegetables together in a large bowl.
- Whip up the olive oil and lemon juice in a cup with 1/2 teaspoon sea salt.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad and toss until every vegetable is coated.
- Allow the salad to sit at room temperature for up to an hour for the flavors to meld.
- Test for salt and pepper. Make the necessary adjustments.
The Vintage Pyrex Bowl
We do get asked, “Where did you find the bowl?” This particular bowl actually belongs to our neighbor Fernande but I have seen them in antique stores. I am sure that the occasional lucky person will find them at a thrift store. You can also lose yourself for hours hunting for vintage Pyrex on eBay, our website partner.