Amanda’s note: Here is another wonderful contribution from Ramya Venkateshwaran who writes from her home in India. Ramya describes her homemade remedy for flatulence and bloating. Find her on her website WildTurmeric.net for more ideas on healthy living.
Homemade lip balms are one of the few homemade products that is equal if not better than commercial lip balms both in looks and in quality. Since I make very small batches, it remains fresh until it gets used up. In addition, we really can customize homemade lip balms to our liking. Pour it in a cute little jar and you will never know the difference between a homemade and store-bought one. They are also very easy to put together — just melt everything in a double boiler and you are done. You can never go wrong while making a lip balm unless of course you don’t measure the ingredients well.
Last winter I suffered from chapped lips and was applying coconut oil daily for my lips which gave good relief. This year I thought I will make a healing lip balm for treating chapped lips beforehand using coconut oil as a base. I also wanted aloe vera gel in the recipe as it is a wonderful natural healer.
This lip balm is one of the best home remedies for chapped lips and I have to say it is super moisturizing. This lip balm recipe is made with virgin coconut oil, cocoa butter, aloe vera gel, vitamin E oil, and essential oil — practically all things that will keep the lips moisturized and soft. You can use fresh aloe vera gel for the recipe but it will greatly diminish the shelf life. I would suggest using store-bought aloe vera gel for the recipe (like this one). Vitamin E oil in the recipe increases the shelf life so try not to skip it. I added a tiny bit of food coloring to make it look good but that is purely optional. I really loved how it turned out so much that I am planning to make a larger batch to give as a present to all my cousin’s 🙂
Chapped Lip Remedy Ingredients
- 1/2 tablespoons beeswax (Use either pellets or if you have it in block form, grate it)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons virgin coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon cocoa butter
- 1 teaspoon aloe vera gel
- 10 drops vitamin E oil
- 8 drops essential oil of your choice
- Food coloring — a tiny bit (optional)
Chapped Lip Remedy Steps
- In a double boiler take the beeswax, virgin coconut oil, and cocoa butter and melt on low to medium flame until the ingredients are fully melted.
- Remove from heat and add in the food color if you are using it.
- Let the mixture cool a bit (almost to room temperature) then add in the aloe vera gel, vitamin E oil, and essential oil of your choice and mix well.
- Pour into cute jars and let it set.
- If you don’t want to use coconut oil, you can substitute it with other unrefined oils.
- Try using beeswax pellets, they are easy and mess free.
- You can leave this lip balm outside but if you live in a hot country, it might soften up a little. If it does, refrigerate for a few minutes.