This post was last updated on March 28th, 2015 at 09:48 am
This cookie is surprisingly popular in our household. I am surprised at its popularity in part because the presence of a chocolate chip within in a cookie sets up expectations for a “Tollhouse”-like experience. The fact is, like most human beings, I would love to live on Tollhouse-like cookies for at least three meals a day. If I didn’t mind weighing one thousand pounds, I might do just that.
This cookie is far more dense and scone-like than a buttery and crisp Tollhouse cookie. It is good but it is an entirely different experience.
Even so, this coconut flour cookie easily passed the picky kid test. After all, the cookie still is chocolate chips packaged in a snack shaped like a cookie. That is basically why I like to too. Because of the density of the cookie (with all of those eggs in particular), one cookie is quite filling. Rather than wanting to eat four chocolate chip cookies (six?), one of these cookies is satisfying. Two is nearly a feast. These cookies are definitely filling and make a great snack as a result.
Coconut flour wins on the carb from too — it is far lower in carbs than its wheat counterpart.
The recipe is extremely simple and a great place to start in coconut flour experimentation.
Update: For those with mushy or otherwise unsatisfactory cookies, the key may lie in your coconut flour itself. If you’re serious about baking with coconut flour, you need to find this book by Starlene Stewart Baking with Coconut Flour (here). It’s not just another “recipe book.” It’s a technical guide on trouble-shooting your recipes. Coconut flour bakes up differently depending on its age and moisture content. Stewart’s guide helps you figure out how to make that perfect loaf of bread with coconut flour (or even how to adapt your favorite wheat flour recipe).
Chocolate Chip Cookie Ingredients
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 packed cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut (optional)
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
Chocolate Chip Cookie Steps
- Mix together coconut oil, sugar, vanilla, and eggs.
- Blend thoroughly.
- In a separate bowl, mix together salt, flour, coconut, and chocolate chips.
- Add the bowl of dry ingredients to your oil, egg, and sugar mixture.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Form into small cookies on a parchment lined pan.
- Press the cookies down to the size you wish — they will not flatten out during baking.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 15 minutes at 375 degrees, or until lightly browned.
If you do not have parchment paper, oil your baking pan well and take care not to let the bottoms of the cookies burn.