This black bean dish is superb over brown rice pilaf. Making the two dishes is a bit of work, so make plenty for a second meal or even a third. A simple green salad with vinaigrette completes the menu or serve with fresh garden tomatoes and cucumber sticks and garnish with cilantro.
For best results, soak the black beans over night as per our instructions on soaking beans. Soak your rice overnight as well. Cook them in bone broth for additional flavor.
Cuban Black Beans Ingredients
- 7 cups cooked black beans
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 fresh tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup freshly minced cilantro
Cuban Black Beans Steps
- Using a large, heavy skillet, saute the garlic for a moment, stirring all the while. Do not let the garlic get brown.
- Add onion and continue to saute, stirring every couple of moments.
- When the onion is just beginning to turn transparent, add the cumin, coriander and paprika. Sauté for 3 or 4 more minutes while the flavors develop in the spices.
- Add the orange juice and tomatoes and cook another 5 minutes.
- Add the drained beans and cook until all is hot.
- Puree 2 cups of the bean mixture with some of the bean liquid to make a smooth mixture.
- Return the pureed beans to the pot, stirring well.
- Adjust for salt.
- Serve over brown rice pilaf.
- For add richness, serve this dish steaming hot with grated jack cheese sprinkled over the top. The cheese melts quickly and adds a glossy top to an already beautiful dish.