This simple and stunning salad is adapted from a Southern Living recipe. I would have tried the recipe as written but had to punt for lack of some major ingredients. My resulting knock-off is so wonderful, I doubt that we will ever try the original.
Do try this salad the next time you have ripe figs available. Even if you lack the recommended amount of figs, make the salad anyway. It will still thrill your taste buds.
Fig Salad Ingredients
- 16 ripe figs
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 pound mozzarella cheese, cubed
- 2 cups slivered kale leaves, ribs removed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove finely minced garlic
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Romano cheese
- Fresh basil for garnish. Whole kale leaves for garnish.
Fig Salad Steps
- Wash the figs and pat them dry. Remove the stem ends and slice the figs in half long ways. Place in a medium sized bowl.
- Mix the 1/4 cup of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, honey and mustard in a cup. Drizzle over the figs. Toss gently to coat each fig half with oil. Set aside while you prepare the rest of the salad.
- In a medium bowl, toss the kale shreds with the tablespoon of olive oil, minced garlic, and a sprinkle of salt. Toss until every shred is coated with oil.
- Prepare the salad plates with a whole kale leaf on each plate. Divide the kale shreds evenly over the four plates. The shreds are the cushion for receiving the marinated figs.
- Gently mix the mozzarella cubes with the marinating figs. See that each cheese cube is coated with this zesty marinade. Taste for salt and pepper. Make the necessary adjustments remembering that the Romano cheese is salty.
- Divide the cheese and fig mixture evenly between the salad plates. Pile the mixture on top of the kale shreds.
- Dust the salads with grated Romano and garnish with basil sprigs.
This salad is most flavorful when served at room temperature.