This post was last updated on February 4th, 2014 at 03:08 pm
I found this mix when researching ideas for drying seasoned okra for snack food. It is credited to Emeril Lagasse of the Food Network. As with everything else, I find ways to tweak a seasoning to suit my own tastes. Surely, you do the same.
Now that I have this on hand, I find I am using it on everything: A sprinkle on roasted vegetables, in scrambled eggs, and anything else that needs some zip. It’s fun to have fresh flavors on hand for experimentation.
Cajun Seasoning Ingredients (from Lagasse)
- 2 1/2 tablespoon paprika
- 2 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried dill weed
- 1 tablespoon dried sweet basil
- 1 tablespoon crushed fennel seed
- 1 tablespoon sumac
Try the additions one at a time to see what works for you and then even consider doubling up. This is fun. It reminds me of playing with watercolors as a kid.