My sister was shocked to watch a recent Half Pint Hacks tasting video ( here) in which Frederick mentioned that he’s never tasted a Mound’s bar.
“What!!?! That’s my favorite candy bar!”
“Ah, yes,” I said, “But have you ever had a homemade version?”
As if in foreshadowing this very post, the Half Pint Hacks offer a homemade version to you.
They just used a simple layering approach. You can get fancier and shape these into bars or in the little disc shapes (like a peanut butter cup) but the layers are, by far, the most simple approach to take, especially for a larger quantity.
Homemade Mound’s / Almond Joy Ingredients
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (liquid form)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate
Homemade Mound’s / Almond Joy Steps
- Place all of the ingredients except for the chocolate into a blender.
- Blend for about a minute, until mixed and a bit pasty. (The mixture will still be fairly dry but will press down nicely in a pan nonetheless.)
- Press and pat down mixture in a 9×9 baking dish.
- Place the dish in the freezer.
- Melt your chocolate slowly in a double boiler.
- Pour chocolate over the coconut layer. Freeze for about three hours.
- Slice into bars and serve.
Store these candies in the freezer for an instant and ready treat.