This post was last updated on April 16th, 2014 at 09:20 am
Once you make your own tartar sauce, you will never go back to the jarred version again. The tartar sauce in restaurants will not be quite as appealing either, but you will have an eating experience at home that is cheap, easy, and unparalleled in tartar sauce flavor.
Begin with a good mayonnaise, either homemade or a store-bought variety that has a good flavor and is made with a healthy oil. When you make up this homemade tartar sauce, don’t be afraid to double or triple it. It will last for weeks in your refrigerator. This sauce is super for tuna, crab, or salmon salad. Thin it a bit with kefir to use on a crab Louie.
Serves: 8, generously
Ingredients: Homemade Tartar Sauce
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 medium white onion, finely diced
- 2 large dill pickles, finely diced
Steps: Homemade Tartar Sauce
- Scoop the mayonnaise into a bowl large enough for mixing.
- Add the minced onion and dill pickle, mixing thoroughly.
- Allow this mixture to sit for a few minutes while the liquid in the onion and pickle thin down the mayonnaise. Stir again.
- If the tartar sauce is too thick, thin with a bit of dill pickle juice. Add the pickle juice a little at a time. You could turn your tartar sauce into a pour-able salad dressing!
- Refrigerate leftovers. This homemade tartar sauce has kept nicely for two weeks. We have never had any leftovers last beyond that point.
For variation, add a few capers or a bit of minced fresh tarragon.
Enjoy your homemade tartar sauce!