This just in: Our partner and favorite gourmet fish shop offers wild caught and sustainable seafood: Through May 15, free shipping and 10% off for orders over $150; 15% off for orders over $250 (Coupon code: SPRINGFISH). Click here.
This salad makes a super side-dish or can be turned into a whole meal by serving it with a bit of grilled fish or chicken and some grain like quinoa or brown rice pilaf. Stuff it in some pita and top with a yogurt dressing and felafels. I guess the point I am trying to make is that this salad can be the foundation for a selection of tasty meals. Just writing about it is making me hungry!
Use tender kale for this. I chose the variety Lacinato. If you are growing it yourself, keep the leaves trimmed up and use the new leaves for salad. Even using tender leaves you will have to slice them into thin ribbons to produce an optimum “salad” texture.
Mediterranean Kale Salad Ingredients
- 1 pound of tender kale, washed and dried
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 garden fresh tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Romano cheese
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Optional: 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded, stemmed and minced
Mediterranean Kale Salad Steps
- Remove the inner ribs from the kale and save for other recipes or serve them to the chickens.
- Slice the kale leaves in ribbons as thin as you can make them. A VERY sharp knife is you best friend on this task.
- Pile the kale ribbons in a large salad bowl. Top with the crushed garlic and drizzle on the olive oil. Toss gently but thoroughly. Every ribbon should be coated with oil.
- Cube the tomatoes on a cutting board and sprinkle lightly with salt. Allow them to rest for about 10 minutes. Drain off the juices that are released. Add the drained tomatoes and mint leaves to the kale shreds.
- Squeeze on the lemon juice. Sprinkle on most of the toasted pine nuts. Save a few for garnish Dust on some salt and pepper. Toss lightly.
- Taste and make any necessary adjustments.
- Finish off the salad with the grated Romano cheese and the reserved pine nuts.
- Serve immediately. While the flavor remains good when this salad is kept overnight, the colors and textures are not as appealing as when the salad is freshly served.