This just in: Our partner and favorite gourmet fish shop offers wild caught and sustainable seafood: Through May 15, free shipping and 10% off for orders over $150; 15% off for orders over $250 (Coupon code: SPRINGFISH). Click here.
It is just in the last ten years that I have been exposed to ethnic versions of cucumber salad. The familiar cucumber and red onion floating in vinegar is OK, but there is a whole world of flavors out there to try. This salad is inspired by Anita’s Mexican Restaurant in Bakersfield, California. Their authentic dishes are complemented well by their two signature salads. This is one of the two.
Watch this Mexican cucumber salad video on YouTube or below. Scroll down for written instructions.
Mexican Cucumber Salad Ingredients
Serves: # 4, generously
- 3 cucumbers
- 1 Fresno chili
- ½ red onion, finely diced
- Juice and zest from 1 lemon
- ½ cup finely minced cilantro
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- ¼ cup light olive oil or flax oil
- Salt and pepper
Mexican Cucumber Salad Steps
- Peel and cut the cucumbers into ¼ inch slices. If the cucumber is sizable, cut the rounds in half.
- Carefully open the chili. Remove the seeds with a paring knife. The seeds are the hottest part of this little critter. If you like HOT, keep the seeds in. Mince the pepper finely.
- Add the pepper and the rest of the ingredients to the cucumbers and toss to thoroughly mix.
- Check for salt and pepper.
- Allow this salad to sit for as long as an hour for the flavors to blend. But, if you’re like me, these fresh scents will be irresistible and you will consume part of the salad before the rest of dinner is ready.
Mexican Cucumber Salad Variations
- Add chopped ripe tomatoes.
- Add cooked seafood to turn this salad into a meal. What a meal!
Check out more raw and green recipes at CookingTF and enjoy your Mexican cucumber salad!