This post was last updated on September 15th, 2017 at 06:19 am
I found this recipe in the Food Network Favorite Recipes book; they found the recipe while taping in Mexico. The first time I tried it we all agreed that we would be happy to just eat a meal of Mexican grilled corn. The five-star end result is much greater than the sum of the parts. As a bonus, the whole family can get involved in the work of this dish so it makes a perfect Sunday afternoon barbecue selection.
Mexican Grilled Corn Ingredients
- 4 large ears of freshly picked corn
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Sea salt
- 1 1/4 cup crumbled cotija cheese (found in Mexican groceries, or use a feta)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- Chili powder
Mexican Grilled Corn Steps
- Preheat the grill.
- Clean the corn of its silk but leave the husks connected and pulled back to be used as handles in turning the corn on the grill. It’s so much fun!
- Using your hands, smear olive oil on the corn kernels and sprinkle with sea salt to your taste.
- Before heading to the grill, crumble the cheese on one plate, spread the cilantro on another. Have the mayo and chili powder close by.
- Place the corn on the grill with their husks hanging over the side. Using the husks as handles, turn the corn every few minutes until the entire cob is showing some char (black). This can take 20 minutes depending on your grill.
- Smear mayonnaise on the hot cooked corn, roll in the cheese, and then in the cilantro.
- Sprinkle lightly with chili powder and serve.