Gourmet coffee houses separate many of us from quite a few dollars around the holidays on drinks like this pumpkin spice latte. Save a few bucks and use quality ingredients at the same time to splurge at home.
This recipe requires actual pumpkin puree, though you will get a richer flavor out of butternut squash (and maintain the holiday “orange” theme at the same time). We keep a container of extra puree in the refrigerator during the holiday season for recipes just such as this.
Pumpkin Spice Latte Ingredients
- 2 cups milk (dairy or coconut)
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree (or puree of any winter squash)
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons vanilla
- 1 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (or 3 parts cinnamon to 1 part each nutmeg and ginger)
- 1/2-1 cup strong coffee
- Whipped cream and spices for serving.
Pumpkin Spice Latte Steps
- Except for the whipped cream and spices, combine all ingredients in a sauce pan.
- Warm the mixture to drink temperature — close to boiling if you want a very hot drink.
- Move the ingredients to a blender, add the spices, and blend for about two minutes to make a fluffier mixture. (If your kitchen is as cold as ours, you may wish to warm your blender in advance.)
- Pour the mixture into individual cups, add a dollop of whipped cream and a dash of the spice blend.
This recipe makes two large lattes.