This just in: Our partner and favorite gourmet fish shop offers wild caught and sustainable seafood: Through May 15, free shipping and 10% off for orders over $150; 15% off for orders over $250 (Coupon code: SPRINGFISH). Click here.
“Taco Meat” is the name we have given this savory ground beef recipe that we use in a variety of ways. Certainly, this meat is great right inside of a taco. However, we also pile it on black beans and then top all with a fresh tomato salsa. One of our favorite uses is what we call “Enchilada Salads,” a prized creation of my mother, who tops a bed of greens with enchilada goodness — taco meat, enchilada sauce, tomatoes, onion, and olives. In any case, it all starts with a good taco meat recipe which you can find here.
Ingredients: Taco Meat Recipe
- 2 pounds of ground beef
- 4 tablespoons light olive oil
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
Steps: Taco Meat Recipe
- Heat a large, heavy skillet and add the olive oil
- Fry the garlic and bay leaves for almost one minute and then add the onions. Fry until the onion is limp and just beginning to brown.
- Add the herbs and spices to the oil mixture. (Pro tip: Adding it at this stage allows the flavors of the herbs and spices to infuse into the cooking oil.)
- Add the ground beef, breaking it up with the spatula and stirring it into the onion mixture. Stir occasionally as it cooks.
Your meat is now ready to use in a variety of ways. Try doubling or tripling this recipe so you have plenty for later. This taco meat recipe will keep for a week if it is well-refrigerated. This is also an exceptional recipe to freeze in usable quantities for later. We almost always make up this taco meat recipe in bulk and save much of it for later.