This post was last updated on January 3rd, 2014 at 05:38 pm
You can find this salad on the menu at a Thai restaurant under the name “Larp” or “Laap”. The only problem I have the restaurant versions is that the chili varies from one week to another and at times the salad is way to hot for this old gal to eat.
Solve the problem. Make your own! It’s quite simple and you have complete control over the heat.
Ideally this recipe calls for lemon grass. If you do not have ready access to lemon grass, use tender leaves from lemon balm. If you have lemon balm, then I know you have plenty as it spread all over the neighborhood.
Thai Chicken Salad Ingredients
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 lemon grass stalk, inner stalk minced or 1 cup minced lemon balm leaves
- 1 minced jalapeño pepper (or more to taste)
- 4 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoon chopped cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoon chopped peanuts
Thai Chicken Salad Steps
- Heat the coconut oil in a heavy skillet then add the chicken. Stir as it cooks, breaking up the lumps. You will end up with small crumbles of cooked chicken.
- Add the lemon grass, jalapeño, lime juice, fish sauce, and onions. Gently combine all. Taste for salt and pepper. You may want to add more fish sauce for salt and more jalapeño for heat.
- Serve scoops of Larp on shredded salad greens and garnish with cilantro leaves and chopped peanuts.
Now is this absurdly simple? …and wonderfully delicious! Do give it a try. You will be so pleased.