This post was last updated on November 7th, 2015 at 08:08 am
This recipe turns zucchini into a feast. If you have followed our recipe for tomatillo sauce (and have some thawed out), this dish will go together in a jiffy. Add some leftover cooked meat or poultry and you have a main dish you will be remembered for. I especially like this served beside a grilled chicken breast with fresh tomato on the side. Watch this zucchini casserole recipe on YouTube or below.
Zucchini Casserole Ingredients
- 3 pounds young zucchini, washed and sliced in ¼ inch rounds
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- Olive oil and salt to taste
- 3-4 cups tomatillo sauce
- 2 cups shredded jack or mozzarella cheese
Zucchini Casserole Steps
- Select young slender zucchini no more than 6 inches long. These young squash will be firm with minimum seed development. This means that as they cook they hold their shape. And, because there is a minimum of water in the squash, it is possible to get that fine roasted flavor that makes zucchini a star.
- Wash, drain, and slice the zucchini.
- Pour enough olive oil into the bottom of a large skillet to generously coat it.
- When the oil is hot, add the minced garlic and toss in the oil for about 30 seconds. You want just enough time to get the roasted flavor without burning your garlic.
- Add the zucchini with a sprinkle of salt and toss to coat all the zucchini rounds with the garlic oil.
- Saute the squash until tender. I like it to brown just a little.
- Add the tomatillo sauce that you have warmed in a separate pan. Toss well.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese over the top and cover pan until the cheese is melted.
Zucchini Casserole Variations
- Between step 6 and 7 add some cooked chicken or leftover cooked ground beef.
- Serve with a generous dollop of salsa fresca on top.